General Position Summary
The Staff Accountant performs accounting functions and processes investment transactions, some of which are confidential and complex in nature.
- Maintains accounts payable reports, spreadsheet and corporate accounts payable supporting files. Includes assurance of proper coding, entry into AP system and processing of checks.
- Provides support to company credit card administration and expense reporting.
- Prepares journal entries on a monthly basis.
- Codes invoices for proper processing.
- Assists in preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts as assigned.
- Assists with budgets.
- Performs year-end activities, including 1099 preparation (including interim efforts to assure vendor data and systems are updated throughout the year).
- Prepares tax forms and payment, including miscellaneous related reports.
- Maintain the claims audit letter tracking and reports.
- Assists management during periodic audits.
- Serves as backup for accountant assistant.
- Works with IT on systems issues to improve accuracy and completeness.
- Converts current employee expense reporting system to Concur and current AP system to Bill.com or similar online system.
- Serves as backup for accounting clerks.
- Present a professional and helpful attitude.
- Meet expectations of attendance and punctuality.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skills described in job description.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel and email systems and ability to learn statutory accounting principles, the Company’s billing, payment processing, and operating systems.
- Ability work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet service standards and deadlines.
- Ability to learn new tasks and perform them in an efficient manner.
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere to prescribed routines and practices.
- Maintain work performance at satisfactory or standard level.
- Professionalism in customer service situations.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to comply with department and company policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion with minimum supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.) in accounting from a four-year college or university.