Our organization was established on March 29, 1892 as the Farmers Mutual
Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm Association of the Third Congressional District
at Darlington in Gentry County, Missouri. Meetings were later held in Stanberry,
Missouri, but due to transportation facilities, the Home Office of the Company
was moved to Cameron in 1902. In January, 1907, the name of the Company was
shortened to State Farmers Mutual Tornado Insurance Company of Missouri, and
the charter was amended to include the entire State of Missouri in answer to
groups of farmers from counties outside the Third Congressional District
seeking insurance coverage.
In order to better serve the insurance needs of its policyholders, the
Company became authorized to write casualty insurance, and the first
automobile policy was written in 1959.
As the Company continued to expand, a need for more office space was
recognized, and in March, 1965, the Company moved into its new home office
building at 214 McElwain Drive, Cameron, Missouri. To keep pace with the
Company's continued growth, two additions have been made to the original
The Company had become widely known as "The Cameron Insurance Company"
throughout the State of Missouri and as the writings of the Company continued
to expand, the policyholders voted in 1968 to change the name to Cameron
Mutual Insurance Company.
In order to spread the company's risk over a wider geographical area and
to enable product expansion, the Company reorganized under Chapter 379 RSMo
as a general writing company in 1984. The company currently writes business
in Missouri, Arkansas and Iowa and provides liability reinsurance for the
farm mutual companies of Missouri.
Cameron National Insurance Company, a stock company, with offices located
at the home office in Cameron, Missouri, writes preferred auto business in
Missouri and Arkansas. In Iowa, Cameron National offers a full line of
Personal, Commercial and Farm products.
Cameron Mutual Insurance Company has a branch claims office located in